KSEA New York Metropolitan Chapter
2017 Summer Young Data Science for High School (YDS 2017)
2017 Summer Young Data Science for High School
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering of the University of Bridgeport offers 2017 Summer Young Data Science for High School (YDS 2017) as below. YDS 2017 is sponsored by School of Engineering at UB and KSEA NY-Metro Chapter.
When : July 10, 2017 ~ July 21, 201 (2 weeks)
Where : University of Bridgeport (Bridgeport, Connecticut)
Cost : Free
Homepage : http://www.bridgeport.edu/~jelee/yds
Registration: http://www1bpt.bridgeport.edu/~jelee/yds/apply.htm (Due: June 16, 2017)
Facebook : https://goo.gl/MqyTJJ
The Young Data Science (YDS) summer camp brings together a collaborative group of 10-15 high school students from around New York and Connecticut. For two weeks this summer, students will participate in an introduction to Machine Learning, learn intensive computer programming languages including Java and Python, and tour many aspects of data science.
The camp's goal is to expose motivated and academically promising students to object-oriented programming (Java) and data science programming (Python), and Machine Learning for data analytics.
Young Data Science provides an intensive, hands-on science curriculum that emphasizes discovery through machine learning lecture, research lab tours, invited speakers in data science, as well as programming language sessions. The curriculum is designed by UB faculty, and graduate and professional students. UB Ph.D students and Computer Science students serve a vital role as teaching assistants and mentors. In addition, there will be a field trip to research labs including tour and lunch with data scientists.
After 2016 YDS last year, the students won Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) 2017 and the Best Student Poster at the CT-IETA (IEEE CT Conference on Industrial Electronics, Technology and Automation).
- Java: intermediate level of Java session based on hand-on labs
- Python: introduction of Python focusing on social media data analytics
- Data Analytics: Machine Learning, Deep Learning and Data Mining
- Project: Image Classification using Convolutional Neural Networks
* Who may attend? 8th - 12th graders who are interested in Computer Science, Data Analytics (Deep Learning, ML and AI) and Programming are welcome to apply.
* Is there a cost? No, it’s free.
* Transportation? No transportation will be provided. Parents need to drop-off and pick-up at the University of Bridgeport (Bridgeport, Connecticut).
* Where is it? YDS camp will be held in South Hall at the University of Bridgeport which is located in Bridgeport, Connecticut (I-95 South, Exit 27).
* When is it? July 10, 2017 ~ July 21, 2017 (2 weeks). 9:00 AM ~ 2:30 PM for regular sessions and 3:00 PM ~ 5:00 PM optional research hours.
* What about lunch? Lunch will not be provided, but there will be 2 ~ 3 times of free lunch time with researcher and professors.
* How to apply? Go to YDS website http://www.bridgeport.edu/~jelee/yds and then fill out the online application form.
Contact Prof. Jeongkyu Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org you have any questions.
Ohbong (John) Kwon, Ph. D.
Department of Computer Engineering Technology
NYC College of Technology/CUNY
186 Jay Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201